Friday, June 27, 2008

Here we go with Julieann's lovely lemon cake. She made it last year for the finishing school and has also done it again on her blog, My Daily Life as a Wife and Mother, for her newer readers.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Lemon Frosting:

Good Morning/Afternoon. I hope the cake instructions were easy to follow. Now I am going to explain the Lemon Frosting. It was very easy to make, and it tasted wonderful.

Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups powdered sugar
Frosting:Beat cream cheese, butter, lemon juice, lemon rind, and vanilla together until smooth and fluffy. Add 3 cups powdered sugar and beat together. Add the additional 2 cups of powdered sugar. Beat until creamy. Add more icing sugar or juice as needed for easy spreading.
First we need some lemon rind--I used my box grater, and used the small holes, but I always find it difficult to get all the lemon peel out of the grater, so I used the cheese grater pictured and then just chopped the rest of the peel really fine. If you have a microplane, use that--that is something I need to get:)
Put your softened cream cheese, softened butter, lemon rind, lemon juice and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Using your hand mixer cream together. Just like the cake recipe, you can also use your stand mixer or your own hand instead:
Then start adding the powdered sugar, after each cup mix it:
After all the powdered sugar is added, you come up with this wonderful creamy and yummy frosting:
Can you see how the mixing lines stay put in the frosting--nice and thick--but very easy to spread on our cake:

Tomorrows post will be how I frosted the cake.

I hope everyone has a Wonderful Wednesday, Thank you so much for stopping by xoxox

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Cake Instructions, Step by Step:


Good Morning/Afternoon to all who come and visit. I am so happy that some of you have already made the cake--it is a really yummy cake and easy to make. Today I am showing step by step instructions on how to make the cake---->

First make sure you have all the ingredients:

Yellow Cake:
2 3/4 Cup of All Purpose Flour
2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powdered
1/2 cup Butter or Margarine
1 3/4 cups Sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla
2 Eggs
1 1/4 cups Milk


This is how I butter and flour my pans--I use two 9 inch rounds and I get a little baggy and put some butter on it and use my hand in the baggy to butter the pan all around: Then I put a spoonful of flour in the pan and shake it all around until the flour is well coated all around the pan as shown:
These are my two well coated buttered and floured pans:
Now for the ingredients---use a measuring cup and measure out the amount of flour and use a butter knife or the side of the jar to measure evenly:
Pour the flour into
a bowl: salt:
Baking powder--put the bowl of dry ingredients aside:
In a mixing bowl put your room temperature butter or margarine in a mixing bowl and beat for about 30 seconds. I used a hand mixer, but you can also use a stand mixer or your own hand:)
Then add the sugar and the vanilla and beat until well combined:

Add eggs, one at a time, mixing one minute after each:

Add milk and the dry ingredients alternately, little by little, beating each time:
Beating:
Adding some of the flour:
All the ingredients are all together now:

Pour the mixture into the floured pans, and use a spatula to get every drop:


Here are the pans filled with the cake batter all ready to go into the oven:
Cook the cake at 375' for 30- 35 minutes---only you know your oven, so you will have to keep an eye on your cakes, my cake was actually done cooking at 26 minutes: I use the toothpick trick to make sure the cake is cooked all the way through. Stick a toothpick in the center and if it pulls out clean your cake is done:


See the toothpick is clean--cake is done--yay!!! I let the cake cool on that wire rack for about ten minutes, then I turned them over onto two plates and let them cool completely before I frosted them:



Tomorrow, I am going to show you step by step how I made the lemon frosting to go on the cake:) I hope you enjoyed my cake making adventure--have a wonderful Tuesday my friends!!!

Monday, July 16, 2007

The Cake Recipe















Here is the cake recipe I will be making. Get all your ingredients ready.











Yellow Cake with Lemon Frosting:












Yellow Cake:

2 3/4 Cup of All Purpose Flour
2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powdered
1/2 cup Butter or Margarine
1 3/4 cups Sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla
2 Eggs
1 1/4 cups Milk

Grease and lightly flour two round baking pans. Combine flour, baking powder and 1 teaspoon of salt. Beat butter about 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla, beat till well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating 1 minute after each. Add dry ingredients and milk alternately to beaten mixture, beating after each addition. Turn into pans. Bake 375' oven for 30 to 35 minutes or till done. Cool 10 minutes on wire racks. Remove from pans. Cool. Serve 12.

Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons lemon zest1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups powdered sugar

Frosting:Beat cream cheese, butter, lemon juice, lemon rind, and vanilla together until smooth and fluffy. Add 3 cups powdered sugar and beat together. Add the additional 2 cups of powdered sugar. Beat until creamy. Add more icing sugar or juice as needed for easy spreading.


Thursday, July 19, 2007

Final Step--Cake

Good Morning to all who visit. This is the last step of our cake, and I am so happy you have followed me along on this fun cake making adventure. A few years ago, my husband wanted me to make a special cake for my daughter, and I did not how or where to start, so my husband bought me a cake decorating kit at Michael's, and in the box this frosting spreader came with it. I frost all my cakes with it now, it makes for a nice smooth look. I am sure you can pick one of these up at any store for a few dollars--if not use a butter knife. :0)
Don't worry if some of the cake stayed in the pan, or it doesn't look real nice, the frosting hides all mistakes. Start by putting a good amount of frosting on the first cake (do you notice it is the backside of the cake, I did not turn it over) and frost it all around the middle, don't worry about the sides--the sides are done last. Yummy-->
Then take the second cake and flip it over onto the first cake-->
Start frosting the top and then work it all along the sides, until it is all covered up.
Great job!! It is all covered up and looks great--->
Take a lemon and cut it in rounds and then cut the rounds in half--try and cut the lemon thin------> (remove seeds too;)
Line the lemons all around the edge of the cake, you can even put one on the top of the cake--or do what Elizabeth suggested, a sprig of mint on the top--I bet the green looks beautiful
Ta-Da---all done.


We did it. The cake is moist and delicious and the lemon frosting is so refreshing for summer. I am so happy I was able to do this for the Ladies Finishing School, and please if there are any questions don't hesitate to ask. I hope you all have a fantastic Thursday xoxox

No comments: